Sunday, May 8, 2011

Strawberry Fields

Strawberries are actually a big thing down in this neck of the woods.  This is the season to go strawberry picking. I've only gone once. It was last year and I was nine months pregnant and with a two year old who was potty training, so my time at the strawberry patch consisted of contractions and peepee accidents. Yes, it was a grand time. So when my girlfriend asked me to go strawberry picking last week, I was all about it. Especially since this is by far Noogs and Boos favorite fruit.

We went to Brookdale Farm . Total score since they had a Chesapeake location and it winded up being literally about eight minutes down the road from me. This place was great, it was the perfect size to let the little ones run and they had juicy strawberries. They also have free horse drawn hayrides on Saturdays, we went on a Friday so we missed that, but I'll definitely be returning to check that out. Double bonus points for them is they are located right next to Bergey's which has the best ice cream ever, so we made a pit stop after picking to try it out!

The weather was beautiful and I was in good company with a friend of mine and her daughter. Noogs and my friends' daughter, C., had a great time together picking strawberries.



Boo had a great time too. She really liked the strawberries.


No, she REALLY liked them. Every time I turned around she was shoveling them in her mouth, I tried to stop her, but my efforts were useless.


In any event, it was a great time! We picked about 6 pounds, maybe a bit more and paid $10! 

So what was I going to do with all these strawberries? I did freeze some, but the rest went into a delicious batch of whole-wheat strawberry muffins. I winded up freezing a batch of these bad boys too.


So the day was great and ended with some fabulous ice cream from Bergey's . We'll definitely start going more often to fill Noogs and Boos strawberry obsession.

Click here to view more pics of strawberry picking!

No comments:

Post a Comment